Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Busy Days, Amazing Music



People are always asking me for bands they should check out. Hopefully this blog may be of some use.

I have been insanely busy the past few weeks trying to get everything done for midterms. I've been listening to a ton of music in the meantime during my studying and have forgotten how many amazing bands and artists are on my ipod. It has led me to be introduced to similar bands.

The other day I discovered Ou Est Le Swimming Pool via an interview by the lead singer of AFI who said they were great. I looked them up and I totally love their music! 'The Key' (the video above) and 'Dance The Way I Feel' are my two favorite songs. You guys should check them out if you're into electronic music, particularly Synthpop.


Some other bands / artists I've been listening to lately:
* AFI - I will always recommend AFI. For my favorites, refer to the blog I wrote months ago on AFI. "Too Late For Gods" is currently my favorite song of theirs. It's a rare b-side. Love it, especially the ohhh...ohhhs in the bridge. Beautiful song.
* Autolux - I only have one of their albums, but I like them a lot. Check out: "Turnstile Blues" and "Angry Candy"
* Blaqk Audio - Yeah, of course I'm going to recommend them. I love these boys with all my heart. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their songs, but my personal favorites are: "Cities of Night", "Wake Up, Open the Door & Escape to the Sea", "Ill Lit Ships" and "Mouth to Mouth"
* David Bowie - I heart him! "Ashes to Ashes", "I'm Afraid of Americans", "Ziggy Stardust", and "Let's Dance" are some great classics.
* De/Vision - I recommend this to you electronica fans. I'm particularly fond of "Subtronic", "Addict", and "In Dir"
* The Decemberists - If nothing else, listen to "Eli, The Barrow Boy". "The Engine Driver" and "We Both Go Down Together" are great songs as well.
* Depeche Mode - Pure genius. "John the Revelator" is still my favorite song of theirs.
* The Descendents - I had totally forgotten about these guys as I don't listen to as much punk anymore. "'Merican" is probably my favorite song. This song pretty much reveals every single flaw in America.
* Faithless - "Mass Destruction" is a fabulous song.
* Fiona Apple - I adore this girl so much...maybe because I sing alto as well so I can mimic her better than other singers, but also because her lyrics are pretty amazing. "Shadowboxer" "Limp" "To Your Love" "Paper Bag" "Love Ridden" "The Way Things Are" are all great songs.
* Fischerspooner - Another recommendation for you electronica fans. I really like "Cloud" and "Emerge".
* Interpol - "Pioneer To The Falls" is one of my favorites.
* Julien-K - I saw these guys open for Evanescence a few years back. I really liked them. "Maestro" is by far their best song. "Stranded" is another favorite of mine.
* Ladytron - "Beauty #2" "International Dateline" "Destroy Everything" are my favorites.
* Madonna - "La Isla Bonita" Say what you want about Madonna, this is a great song!
* Mary J Blige - I used to listen to Mary J in high school. "Round and Round" "Time" "I Love You" "I Used To Love Him" are all my top favorites.
* Morrissey / The Smiths - I have the biggest voice crush on Morrissey. I'm in love with his voice. "Life Is A Pigsty" is probably one of my favorite songs right now. "Dear God Please Help Me" "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" "Margaret on The Guillotine" are great songs as well. As far as The Smiths go... "Asleep" "Big Mouth Strikes Again", "Unhappy Birthday" and "Unloveable" are great.
* Mumford & Sons - I'm usually not into the folk rock thing, but these guys are quite good. I recommend "Little Lion Boy" and "The Cave"
* The National - I've only heard one of their songs "Conversation 16", it's pretty fantastic.
* Nine Inch Nails - Even if you hate Trent Reznor or hate what he "stands for", most people still find a soft spot for the album "Still"..."Something I Can Never Have" and "Gone, Still" are my favorite songs. On the album Year Zero, "Zero Sum", "The Good Soldier", "Capital G", and "Me, I'm Not" are my favorites.
* Nitzer Ebb - This may come as a shock to some people, but I do love them. "Join In The Chant" gets stuck in my head a lot and it makes me laugh so much that I have nicknamed my left and right biceps "muscle and hate" as a joke.
* Null Device - Accidentally came across this band. "Notes From the Fallen" is a great song.
* The Offspring - X96 was playing their stuff a few nights ago and it took me back to when I was 10 and LOVED these guys. "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" and "Keep Em Separated" are their best songs.
* Peter Murphy - I love this man's voice! "A Strange Kind of Love" is my all time favorite song of his.
* Portishead - She is simply fabulous! "Sour Times", "It Could Be Sweet" and "Numb" are all great.
* Royksopp - My friend from work introduced me to them. "Remind Me" is their most famous song. It's great.
* Sneaker Pimps - I loved them more when Kelli was the lead singer. "Tesko Suicide" "6 Underground" "Becoming X" "How Do" "Spin Spin Sugar" are probably the best songs.
* Switchblade Symphony - Reminds me a lot of Sneaker Pimps. "Dirty Dog" is one of my favorite songs to sing...in the shower. Why? Don't know. I just sing it at the time.
* Thirteen Senses - I've only heard one song "Into the Fire". Love it.
* Wolfsheim - Great german electronica band. "Find Your Gone" is my favorite songs of theirs.
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Heads Will Roll" is such a great song.

Well, enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment