Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Fire Inside


I have been listening to a lot of AFI lately. I don't think anyone will ever really understand why I like them so much, so all I can say is I like them for sentimental reasons. In 2005, I was coming to terms with the fact that I didn't want to be mormon anymore. I was completely falling apart. I accidentally came across AFI on a particularly rough day and found their Sing The Sorrow album and popped it into my diskman. I remember hearing that intense first song, Miseria Cantare, and immediately getting the chills. Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face and I said, "This is exactly what I've been looking for." After falling in love with that album, I decided I needed to hear the rest of their music. After listening to all of their albums, Sing The Sorrow is actually not my favorite anymore.

I don't believe anyone will ever understand what it is about their music that touches me, but it does. I think it is beautiful and I get a lot out of their music. I love the vague, poetic lyrics. I love that AFI changes their sound for each album and try to do things different every time. They take risks that most bands are too afraid to make. I think this is one reason why AFI has such a strong cult following. That and they are sweet, normal, down to earth guys who aren't completely obsessed with their fame. I am so fortunate to have met them and I hope I have another opportunity in the future.

I'm not here to convince anyone to listen to their music because I don't know that AFI will mean as much to someone else as they do for me.

I tried to make a top 10 list of my favorite AFI songs, but I couldn't find only 10. So, here's my top 20 and please believe me when I say this was extremely difficult to narrow down.


MY TOP 20 FAVORITE AFI SONGS (in no particular order):

37mm
6 to 8
But Home Is Nowhere...
Clove Smoke Catharsis
Endlessly, She Said
Ever And A Day
Exsanguination
God Called In Sick Today
The Interview 
Kiss & Control
The Leaving Song
Malleus Maleficarum
Miseria Cantare
Morningstar
On The Arrow
Reiver's Music
This Time Imperfect
Too Late For Gods
Totalimmortal
Who Knew?


2 comments:

  1. listening to afi is really bittersweet for me ...
    because I'm constantly reminded of what I missed out on(!) ... when I used to do a zine I was sent punk/hardcore cds to review and press releases on the bands ... AFI were one of the bands ... this was 1999 time - they were touring on their own and then played support to offspring ... on the 1999 tour they played just down the road from me (400 capacity club) but I didn't go .. no idea why ... I liked punk/hardcore ... I recall thinking they were heavily stylised (and perhaps thought they were more image than substance?) boy was I wrong ... so mad now especially since I've heard all their albums and that was the 'Black Sails tour and that is probably my favourite album ... now I've heard their music I can understand why they affect people so deeply - def a one of a kind band

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you for your comment. :)

    I understand what you mean about it being bittersweet for you. Black Sails and The Art Of Drowning are my favorite albums. It breaks my heart that I didn't get into them until a few years ago. The radio stations around here were really supportive of AFI when they were still unknown playing stuff from Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes and Black Sails. I'm sad that I didn't get into them until maybe 2005 even though I liked the older stuff I heard from when I was younger. Their sound around the Sing The Sorrow era really isn't something I would have been interested in mostly because I hate 99.9% of music played on the radio these days. I guess finally listening to it made me realize that there are still a few gems out there in the music industry and surprisingly, AFI is one of them.

    After listening to Sing The Sorrow, I bought all the rest of their albums and listened to them all and couldn't get enough, but I remember feeling sick listening to Black Sails and TAOD because I wanted so badly to hear those songs live. It makes me sad that they don't really play those older songs anymore, but I understand why. When I saw them in '08, they played Ever & A Day. I thought I was going to pass out because I have always wanted to hear them play older stuff. Like you, I realize all that I have missed as well. When I listen to their older stuff I always wish I could have been there to see them live. However, I'm just glad I found them. Their music has changed me in a way I really can't describe.

    ReplyDelete