Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Neti Pot: My New Savior


Why have I not used a neti pot before? They are perhaps the greatest invention ever!

My mom and sister have been raving about neti pots for awhile now, but I always expected it would hurt. I didn't really see the point of sticking a pot up my nose while pouring lukewarm salt water up one nostril and letting it come out the other into the sink.

Well, yesterday I had one of the worst sinus headaches I've had in a long time and my mom whipped out a new neti pot she got from Walgreens, opened it and said "Seriously, try it. It will make you feel better, I promise." At that point I was up for trying just about anything.

So I did. I filled up the pot with water, put in half of the saline packet, stirred it with the plastic spoon, pulled back my hair and proceeded to shove it up my nose. I started pouring and it felt like I was drowning. I didn't understand how I was supposed to breathe. Once I realized I could breathe through my mouth, then it worked better and there was no pain. It felt really awkward, but then I got used to it. It looks pretty bizarre in the mirror while doing it and at times it was pretty hard to suppress a laugh.

Warning: Laughing is not a good idea while using a neti pot. Water may shoot out in every direction.

Once I finished, I was able to blow my nose of all the excess water and snot (yeah, that's right, I said it) and I could breathe. I felt no blockage and my headache was gone. I believe my exact words were "Holy shit! This thing actually works!"

So, I am now a believer of the neti pot and I totally recommend it if you're experiencing any kind of sinus troubles.

Stay Classy!

3 comments:

  1. I used neti pot. It works really amazing.And now i also belive in neti pot like you.
    -Neti Pot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that's pretty funny. I've used one before and it does help but you're right, it sure feels pretty dang weird those first few attempts. I didn't get the mouth breathing down at first and totally inhaled it. ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it DOES hurt! It also hurts if the water is too warm or cold. It has to be just right, but when it is, it works amazingly.

    ReplyDelete